French Bread (2/15/08)
This bread is delicious and only has 5 ingredients!!!
You will need:
2 packages (or 4.5 tsp) dry yeast
2-1/2 cups warm (105-120 degree) water
1 tsp sugar
6 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
For garlic butter:
1 stick butter
3 TBSP garlic powder
2 tsp garlic salt
1. Pour warm water into a large bowl. Add yeast and sugar. Stir until yeast is completely dissolved. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Mix in 2 cups flour and salt. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
3. Add in remaining flour gradually to form a soft dough. Knead for 10 minutes.
4. Spray dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise for 2 hours, until doubled in size.
5. Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Form into long "sticks" of bread.
6. Place on greased cookie sheet. Let it rise (again) for 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
8. Spray bread with plain butter (or spread it on). Using a knife, make a few diagonal slashes across the top.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
10. Mix together ingredients for garlic butter. Amount of garlic can be adjusted to preference. Fresh garlic may also be used.
11. Slice the bread to desired thickness. Spread butter on slices.