Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Another one of my favorite snacks is popcorn. When I was growing up, Friday nights were always popcorn nights at our house. My dad would pop a huge bowl of popcorn, pour melted butter over it, and sprinkle it with salt. Then we'd settle down to watch a movie and munch on popcorn.
I decided to combine two of my favorite snacks into one: S'mores Popcorn. I found it absolutely delicious and irresistible and I hope you will too!
Makes 10-12 servings
You will need:
6 quarts popped popcorn (3/4 cup kernels)
3 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons vanilla
12 graham crackers
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup chocolate chips
1. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, corn syrup, margarine, and salt. Stir constantly until brown sugar dissolves.
2. Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature, and boil the sugar mixture until it reaches 270 degrees. Stir occasionally.
3. While sugar mixture is boiling, break 12 graham crackers into bite-sized pieces. Put in a large bowl with the popcorn and marshmallows.
4. When sugar mixture has reached 270 degrees, stir in vanilla.
5. Pour over popcorn, graham crackers, and marshmallows. Stir until everything is coated in the caramel.
6. Pour caramel covered popcorn mixture onto cookie sheets lined with wax paper. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
7. Allow caramel to harden and then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.