Saturday, February 11, 2012
Makes about 60 1" heart shaped candies
You will need:
2 cups sugar, plus a little extra for rolling the gumdrops in
1-1/3 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 3-oz packages Jell-O (I used Strawberry)
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Let it stand for 1 minute.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes.
3. Pour into a greased 9x13" pan.
4. Place in the fridge for 3 hours, until firm.
5. Run a spatula along the edges of the pan to loosen the gumdrops. Turn onto a cutting board.
6. Cut gumdrops into your desired shape. I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter, but you could also cut these into squares using a knife dipped in hot water.
7. Roll gumdrops in extra sugar. Let them sit out until they're slightly dry.
Store in an airtight container.
Source: Hoosier Homemade