If you like what you see, please subscribe and join me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
Thursday, July 05, 2012
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cookie Frosting
My Dad's birthday was on Saturday and so I made him cupcakes to celebrate. He loves chocolate and peanut butter (who doesn't?) so when I saw these cupcakes, I knew I had to make them. I'm so happy that I did--these cupcakes were delicious, but the icing on the cake, literally, was the peanut butter frosting!
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1-1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
For the ganache:
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
For the peanut butter cookie frosting:
9 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups powered sugar
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the coffee and cocoa powder until dissolved. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking power and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Blend in vanilla.
5. Turn the mixer on to low speed and add the dry ingredients alternating with the coffee mixture. Mix after each addition until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
6. Divide the batter into paper lined cupcake tins, filling each 2/3 of the way full.
7. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. When the cupcakes have cooled, make the ganache. First, place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl.
9. Bring the heavy cream to simmer, pour it over the chopped chocolate, and let it stand for about 2 minutes.
10. Whisk the heavy cream and chocolate until a smooth ganache forms. If necessary, let the ganache sit at room temperature to thicken before using.
11. To make the peanut butter cookie frosting, combine the peanut butter and butter in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on medium for 1 minute.
12. Add in the powdered sugar and mix on low until completely combined. Increase the speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes.
13. Scoop about 1 Tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture and form it into a round patty. Use the tines of a fork to make a crisscross pattern on top of the patty. (You want it to look like a classic peanut butter cookie.) Repeat with remaining mixture.
14. Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the ganache to ice it. (If your ganache is too thick to dip, use an offset spatula to spread it over the cupcakes.) Place a peanut butter "cookie" on top of the ganache.
Store in a airtight container in the fridge.
Source: Sweet Savory Life via Annie's Eats