One of my favorite things about creating and making recipes is the opportunity to change it up and make it your own. I especially like to change up recipes that are usually made pretty much the same every time, like making S'mores Puppy Chow or Funfetti Puppy Chow instead of basic Puppy Chow. I've also made a few variations on Rice Krispies treats like Cookie Dough Marshmallow Treats and Cookie Dough Scotcheroos.
I've been on an Oreo kick lately. I bought a package a couple of months ago to make some Snowman Cookies and I've been hopelessly addicted ever since then. My favorite way to enjoy an Oreo is just to eat it plain, but then I had the idea to add Oreos to Rice Krispies Treats. And what a grand idea it was! I'm also trying to incorporate the use of coconut oil into my diet so I decided to replace the butter with coconut oil. It added just a slight hint of coconut to the treats, but I thought it was a fantastic, and slightly healthier, addition!
Makes 1 9x13" pan, 16-20 servings
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 (10 ounce) package regular sized marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
10 Oreo cookies, broken into pieces (I used chocolate filled, but any kind of Oreo would be delicious)
1. In a microwave safe bowl, heat coconut oil and marshmallows on high for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds.
2. Stir until smooth, returning to microwave in 30 second intervals if necessary.
3. Add cereal to marshmallow mixture and stir until well coated.
4. Add broken Oreo cookies and stir until just combined.
5. Press mixture into a greased 9x13" pan. Cool before cutting and serving.