Did you know that you can make potato chips at home? And there is no frying involved? These microwave potato chips are easy, delicious, and could even be considered healthier!
He was totally shocked when he found out that I made potato chips at home!
You'll want to keep a close eye on the chips as you bake them. The first five minutes of baking are pretty simple and you can walk away from the microwave. However, when you get about halfway through the second five minutes, you'll want to stay where you can peek into the microwave. The thickness of your potatoes will play the largest part in determining how long they take to crisp up. Some chips may crisp faster than others. You'll also want to keep an eye on the browning of the chips, you certainly don't want them to burn! After the second five minutes of baking, you'll want to remove any chips that are completely crisp before returning the plate to the microwave.
These chips really are fun to make, and you could add in some spices to flavor them however you want. Dill weed, taco seasoning, garlic salt...the possibilities really could be endless!
1. Wash and peel the potato. Thinly slice it.
2. Press the potato slices between two sheets of paper towel to absorb the excess moisture.
3. Place potato slices in a single layer on a microwave safe plate. Lightly spray with baking spray and sprinkle with salt. (You can use olive oil if you have a spritzer.)
4. Microwave potatoes for 5 minutes, then flip.
5. Microwave an additional 5 minutes.
6. Microwave remaining potatoes in 30 second increments until all the chips are crisp. Remove chips from the plate as they become crisp and brown.
Note: As all microwaves vary, you may need more or less time to reach the desired crispness for your chips. Keep a close eye on your potatoes and remove the chips from the microwave as they become crisp.
These chips are best eaten the day they are made, but can be stored in an airtight container.