Cheeseburgers for dinner tonight, or pizza? Both sound good, but why decide between the two? You can have both with this Cheeseburger Pizza!
We recently received some coupons for a pizza joint. I set the coupons aside, not because I wanted to go there, but because the picture of their newest pizza caught my attention. It was a cheeseburger pizza! Genius, right? I've had a variety of uncommon pizzas: BLT Pizza, Jerk Chicken Pizza and Breakfast Pizza to name a few, but the concept of a cheeseburger pizza never occurred to me.
Saturday nights are typically our pizza nights, so I decided to branch out and try my take on the cheeseburger pizza. I used some creamy Velveeta and mixed it with cooked ground beef to make a delicious sauce. I put that on my favorite pizza crust and then topped it with a layer of mozzarella cheese. When the pizza came out of the oven I added diced tomatoes and pickles. I briefly considered adding on some shredded lettuce but opted against it because warm lettuce didn't sound appetizing. You could add virtually any toppings you enjoy on burgers or pizza!
Makes 1 large pizza, approximately 8 slices
1 lb ground beef
1 lb Velveeta
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup diced pickles
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1. Roll out or press pizza dough onto a greased pizza pan (or pizza stone).
2. Cook ground beef in a large skillet until browned. Drain grease.
3. Cube the Velveeta cheese and add it to the skillet with the beef. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
4. Spread the meat and cheese mixture on top of the pizza dough.
5. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
6. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until pizza dough is cooked through in the center and the edges are golden.
7. Top warm pizza with diced pickles and tomatoes. Serve warm.